Tuesday, October 23, 2012

6 Month Countdown or Breakdown?


My classmates from my original cohort will be completing their last Nursing class this week with their pinning ceremony to look forward to the following week.  As I sit here with no weekly journal or assignments to complete, I realize I have six months left of Nursing school.  Should I countdown or have a breakdown?

Two weeks ago during clinical, a LVN, also a student at a different college was quizzing my friend and I on Med Surg material because she had just taken her final for that class.  I, on the other hand took that class back in the beginning of the year, and I wasn't able to answer her questions.  My friend and I looked at each other with our "WTF" expressions.  I thought to myself, "I should know this stuff!"  Then on my drive home that afternoon, I rationalized all this.  Awful?  No!  Maybe.  Anyway...I am attending an accelerated 22 month program.  Material is studied to pass weekly quizzes, midterms, finals, and ATI.  After that, you get two days if you're lucky to unwind and then onto a new class it is.  Absorbing ALL the material throughout the entire 22 months is rare, except to the exceptional few who have photographic memories.  Will I be ready for the NCLEX after school?  Probably not.  But I will study my hardest to pass it when that time comes.

&&& something I've learned from some of the nurses I've worked with during clinicals is that the knowledge of heart rhythms, pathophysiologies, and everything else will come with time.  After all, a nurse's education doesn't stop after graduation.

xoxo,
miss b.

No comments:

Post a Comment